Peter Johnson, ’81, ’82
Director of Government Relations & Public Affairs
Why I Wear Green
I wear green — bleed green — because I believe in the transformative power of higher education. I am one of tens of thousands who pursued their education, career and life goals at the University of North Dakota. My family holds dozens of degrees – and counting – from UND.
A part-time employee, Peter provides leadership for the government relations functions of UND. He sustains a program to engage regional, state, and federal policymakers to maximize support needed to achieve institutional objectives including strategies to advance UND’s mission and the UND LEADS Strategic Plan. Peter also directs the UND Caucus, a dedicated group of alumni and friends committed to helping advance the goals of UND and the UND Alumni Association & Foundation.
Peter enjoys longtime interests in literature, film, music, theater, and other creative arts. Once a year, he gathers with his brother and friends to spend a week “scaring fish and absorbing nature.” He hikes, camps, rides his bicycle, and walks the Grand Forks Greenway. A “pretend handyman,” Peter likes to putter around the house.
- BA, English, University of North Dakota
- BS, Education, University of North Dakota
- Public Relations Society of America
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- North Dakota Professional Communicators
- North Dakota Newspaper Association
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Northern Interscholastic Press Association
- North Dakota University System Public Affairs Council
- Lecturer in Composition, Journalism and Public Relations at UND and Lake Region State
During more than 30 years as UND spokesperson and, for part of that time, head of UND’s main public relations and communications function, Peter developed many relationships with individuals in North Dakota’s public and private sectors. He continues to work with these individuals — governmental, business, and community leaders from throughout the state — on behalf of UND and the UND Alumni Association & Foundation.
- Anne Carlsen Center Board of Trustees
- Member, Franklin Club
- Member, Deutsche Kinder Chapter — Germans from Russia